Martín to be released from hospital on Sunday

Center fielder had been battling 'life-threatening' infection

Alex Hooper
August 19, 2018 - 11:53 am
Aug 4, 2018; Cleveland, OH, USA; Cleveland Indians center fielder Leonys Martin (13) rounds the bases after hitting a home run during the sixth inning against the Los Angeles Angels at Progressive Field.

© Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Categories: 

Cleveland, OH (92.3 The Fan) – Cleveland Indians center fielder Leonys Martín will be released from the hospital on Sunday, Team President Chris Antonetti told reporters.

Martín had been battling a ‘life-threatening’ bacterial infection at the Cleveland Clinic that removed him from the Indians roster after just six games.

The team is not ruling out a return to action in 2018, but Antonetti admitted that they are in ‘uncharted waters’ without precedent.

“To think about the progress he's made over the past week, it's been nothing short of amazing,” Antonetti said. “We don't have a lot of additional details about what the plan will look like from here other than he'll have a series of follow-up checks this week with doctors, just to continue to monitor his health. And then at some point we'll begin to think about how we build up his activity and see where that leads us.”

Antonetti added that Martín is ‘champing at the bit,’ to return, but that the 30-year-old still has progress to make before beginning to think about ramping up activity.

Manager Terry Francona and Bench Coach Brad Mills visited Martín in the hospital over the weekend and were met by ‘a roomful’ of Indians players also visiting their newest teammate.

Antonetti called the news ‘beyond a relief.’

“If you didn't know anything was wrong, other than the IV he had connected, you wouldn't have known anything different,” he added. “He was able to walk up and down the hallway a little bit and every day he continues to get better.”